Chicken Burgers are our new “go-to meal” when we need to put something together real quick!
This stove-top recipe is a no brainer when hunger pangs hits.
Flavorful, tasty & healthy with few ingredients.
Ground Chicken has always been an unappreciated protein.
It’s quick to cook, high in proteins and low in fat (depends on your source of meat and white to dark meat ratio).
The naturally mild taste of ground chicken combines readily with different seasonings, making it an ideal choice for different recipes (burgers, meatballs or Mexican recipes). Next time, try swapping it in for other ground meat in your recipe. I bet you wouldn’t regret!
Related Recipes: Turkey Burger, Black bean Quinoa Burger, Mushroom Kebabs
Chicken Burger: What goes into it?
The key to these tasty burgers are fresh ingredients and a good Barbecue (BBQ) sauce.
I used Stubb’s Original BBQ sauce but use your favorite or homemade one.
Onions, Ginger, Garlic & Cilantro adds tons of flavor and freshness.
Simple spices like smoked paprika & cumin will elevate the flavor profile.
Lastly, adding grated cheddar into your patty makes it extra cheesy.
Bringing the burger together
These patties can easily be made over stove-top. But they are good for grills as well.
The succulent patties can form a delicious burger by grilling buns and adding an array of condiments. Below, I have included what constituted my burger.
You can also pair the patty with fresh salsa or greens for a gluten free meal!
It’s best served straight from the grill but you can refrigerate these patties for 3-4 days.
Grilled patties can be packed/ wrapped separately with cling film or snack zip lock pouches and stashed in larger gallon freezer bags and frozen for 3-4 months.
If you like the recipe or make Chicken Burger, please be sure to leave a comment. And if you do make this recipe and decide to post, please be sure to tag me on Instagram or Facebook!
- Sauté Pan
- Grilling Pan/ skillet
- Mixing Bowl
- Cling Film
- 1 lb Ground Chicken
- 1/2 cup Red Onions chopped
- 1 inch Fresh Ginger Minced or grated
- 2 Garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 cup Cilantro
- 1/4 cup Grated Cheddar
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Red chili powder (for added heat) optional
- 3 tbsp Barbecue Sauce
- 1/4 tsp Freshly ground pepper
- Salt to taste
- Olive oil
- 4 Brioche Buns
- 4 tbsp Avocado Chutney
- 2 tbsp Butter Unsalted
- Grilled Red Onion slices
- Roma Tomato slices
- Heat a sauté pan and coat it with olive oil. Add chopped onions and season with salt. Cook the onions for 5-7 minutes or until soft and translucent.
- Now add garlic. Cook for 1-2 minutes and remove from heat. Keep it aside to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine ground chicken, BBQ sauce, cilantro, ginger, cooked (cooled down) onions and garlic mixture, cumin, paprika,red chili powder, pepper & salt (if desired).
- Using your hands, squish and mix well. Keep it aside.
- Heat a griddle or grilling pan, bring it to medium high heat and coat well with oil.
- Make and cook a little tester patty to be sure the chicken is well seasoned. Reseason if desired. If you feel the patty is missing heat or salt add a dash of chili powder or salt.
- When the burger mix is seasoned properly, make 4 equal sized patties.
- Place the burger patties in the pan. Be sure not to over crowd the pan. You can always work in batches.
- Cook the patties 5-6 minutes each side.
Assembling the burger
- If using cheese, place the cheese slice or grated cheese over the patty (once it's fully cooked) and cook for another 1 minute.
- Simultaneously, grill the buns and red onions.
- Spread each side of the grilled bottom bun with your favorite spread, in this case avocado chutney (Mayo/ Sour cream). Place the patty with cheese. Top it with tomato & grilled onions. You can additionally top with greens (spinach/ arugula/ lettuce).
- Close up the burger, give it a little squish and enjoy!
Leave a Reply