Apple Broccoli Salad, one of my favorite salads, combines crunchy apples and broccoli with walnuts and onions.
What makes this fruit so special?
“An apple a day, keeps the doctor away”! Apples are rich in antioxidants, flavonoids and dietary fibers. The phytonutrients and antioxidants helps to reduce the risk of developing cancer, heart diseases, diabetes and hypertension.
Whats the best time to have apples?
Health benefits of apples have a correlation to the bowel movement. The skin of the fruit is rich in dietary fiber and pectin. Another important content of the fruit are organic acids which helps in digestion. Hence, it’s always good to have an apple in the morning with breakfast or lunch.
You May Also Like: Apple Maple cake, Pear Salad
Ok, what about Broccoli?
Broccoli is from the cruciferous vegetable family, a nutrients powerhouse with low calories 🙂 It also lowers the risk of cancer, improves bone health and digestion.
So here’s my quick and easy recipe for a late morning or early afternoon salad.
Apple Broccoli Salad
- 1 medium Apple chopped
- 1.5 cup Broccoli florets
- 1/4 cup Red Onion chopped
- 1/4 cup walnuts chopped into small pieces
For the dressing
- 2-3 tsp Lemon juice
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper or red chili powder
- 1 tbsp basil leaves fresh or dried
- Salt to taste
- Take the medium sized broccoli florets and wash it thoroughly. Cut them into bite size pieces.
- In a small bowl combine all the ingredients for dressing and keep aside.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl combine chopped apple, broccoli, onions and walnuts. Now add the dressing and stir well. The salad is ready!
- Enjoy it as a late morning or early afternoon snack. Consider including it in your afternoon meal!
- The best way to have broccoli is raw. Boiling or sautéing would hamper it’s crunchiness.
- Another way to eat broccoli is by baking it in an oven with slight oil for 10 minutes. Sprinkle salt and enjoy. This way the crunchiness of broccoli is intact.
Leave a Reply