Avocado Toast is my way of including this lovely fruit for breakfast/ appetizers!
Refer to my earlier post, Avocado Paratha (Indian flatbread) to know more about this low-fat fruit.
Some recipes are so simple and easy, they aren’t worth talking about. But when it comes to Avocado Toast, it is 🙂
What is Avocado Toast?
It’s just sliced or smashed avocado on a toast. This is the basic recipe. You will never be disappointed and would make it for breakfast, lunch, dinner or just as a snack 😉 If you feel like being creative, add ingredients.
Is it healthy?
Yes it is! How about enjoying toast without the guilt of butter? Replace butter with creamy, silky and rich avocados. It’s great in taste, gives you a buttery feel and without any cholesterol! It’s also rich in fiber that helps in digestion.
What goes in it?
Slice or smash avocado and drizzle lemon juice. Lemon juice prevents color change. Add salt and your choice of seasoning. I used garlic and cayenne pepper. Spread it over a toast.
Next you can add, your choice of toppings. In this case, cherry tomatoes (or San Marzano plum tomatoes) and chopped basil. Other suggestions could be, sliced boiled eggs, poached eggs, fried eggs, smoked salmon, corn, grilled cheese (with mozzarella or goat cheese), nuts (walnuts, almonds, pine nuts, etc). These are just a few, you could use your creativity.
Here goes my version of this creative and versatile dish. Hope you get to try it 🙂
- 2 slices Whole wheat bread
- 1/2 Avocado
- 2 tsp Lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp garlic paste or 1 clove minced garlic
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp Cayenne or red chili powder
- Salt to taste
- 3 tbsp Fresh basil leaves or dried crushed basil
- 4-5 whole cherry tomatoes or San Marzano plum tomatoes or deseed and chop a tomato
- Slice through the avocado length wise, with a knife, until you feel the pit in it’s center.
- Remove the pit. Scoop out and slice or smash.
- To the smash, add lemon juice, salt, garlic and cayenne pepper. Mix well. Keep it aside.
- Pluck, wash and chop the basil leaves.
- Wash and slice the San Marzano plum tomatoes into halves. You could use cherry tomatoes as well. If both aren’t available, use regular tomatoes. In this case, deseed and chop them.
- Having done the “mise en place” (French for prepping) toast your bread slices in a toaster (on a medium level)
- Once they pop out, slice the toast into two halves. Spread the avocado evenly. Next place the tomatoes and basil.
- Your Avocado toasts are ready! Enjoy with a hot cuppa tea/ coffee or with your choice of drink. Bon Appetite 🙂
- Dried crush basil can also be used if fresh isn’t available.
- Any topping can be used. It entirely depends on what you feel like eating.