Basil Grilled Shrimp is my way of having something quick, tasty, healthy and refreshing even on a weekday! It’s even for those sad weather days when you need something to lift your mood up 😀
To complete the meal…
I add a simple side like stir fry noodles, fried rice, a refreshing salad or just some bread. It not only turns out to be a complete meal but a satisfying one too.
Other Recipe you might like: Stir Fry Noodles, Fried Rice, Apple broccoli salad
What are Basil Grilled Shrimp?
Fresh peeled deveined shrimp are marinated in a sauce (made of fresh basil, red vine vinegar, tomato sauce, garlic & cayenne) for sometime and then grilled. That’s it!
When the recipe is simple, it’s always good to use appropriate ingredients. Here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- The tomato sauce that is used can be easily found in the sauce/ pasta section in any grocery store.
- Alternatively, you can always make some tomato sauce at home and have it handy to make pastas or stews.
- It’s best to use fresh basil but if you don’t find it easily, replace it with dried basil.
- This recipe is good for a stove top grilling pan or an outside grill.
- Fresh or frozen shrimp can be used.
Hope you get to make it and enjoy them as much as I did!
Basil Grilled Shrimp
- 0.7 lbs Fresh peeled deveined shrimp or 11 oz or 0.3 kg. Frozen shrimp can also be used
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp Tomato sauce store bought or home made
- 2 tsp Red vine vinegar
- 2 tbsp Fresh basil leaves chopped
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- olive oil or any cooking oil for grilling
- In a medium bowl, stir together, olive oil, garlic, tomato sauce, red vine vinegar, fresh basil leaves, cayenne and salt.
- Now add the shrimp to the bowl and mix to evenly coat. Cover, refrigerate and let it marinate for 1 hour.
- After an hour, evenly brush olive oil on a grilling pan and heat.
- Once the pan is heated, add the marinated shrimp and grill until it turns opaque on both sides.
- Transfer to a serving plate/ bowl and serve immediately.
- Enjoy with a stir fry noodles, fried rice or salad side!