Chicken Seekh Kebab, a South-Asian favorite, are juicy, delicious minced chicken kebab made on skewers. A popular Indian appetizer, usually served with green chutney and a salad side.
What are Seekh kebab?
Seekh kebab are ground/ minced meat, mixed with spices and seasoning and wrapped onto a skewer to be grilled. Meat can be chicken, lamb, goat or any red meat.
“Seekh” here means the skewers onto which the minced meat is wrapped.
More kebab recipes: Chicken Tikka Kebab , Paneer Tikka Kebab
Going back in time, India has always been predominantly vegetarian. This implies kebab were never invented here! Genghis Khan’s (a Mongolian ruler) army, that invaded India, bought in the kebab tradition.
Marination holds the key
Traditional cooking always requires you to marinate your meats and vegetables well. The same is with this recipe. Allow your minced chicken to marinate for a minimum of 45 minutes to an hour. The longer the better. Remember any type of cooking involves a lot of care and patience.
About the recipe
Cooking chicken is fairly easier and quicker as compared to red meats. The same is the case with marination. The duration of marination is shorter. Marinate chicken for a minimum of 45 minutes and you are ready to cook it!
While making any kind of kebab, it’s important to:
- Add fat to your minced meat. Hence avoid using lean meat. The fat ensures your kebab turns out juicy.
- Reduce moisture content.
- Have a smooth texture of the meat paste.
Having the above taken care, cooking kebab will be a breeze and your recipe will be a hit! ?
I always do the prepping and marination in advance, have my meat on the skewers and refrigerate it. The following evening, all I have to do is put my skewers in the oven.
Sharing my version of this wonderful, satisfying dish.
Chicken Seekh Kebab
- 1 lbs Ground Chicken or 1/2 kg minced chicken. You can use red meat as well.
- 1 tsp cooking oil
- 3/4 cup Red Onion chopped
- 1 tbsp Ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric
- 2 tbsp Cilantro chopped
- 2 tbsp mint chopped
- 1 nos egg (optional)
- 1 nos Green chili chopped or jalapenos
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- In a medium mixing bowl, add the ground/ minced meat and all the ingredients except oil.
- If you are adding egg, then whisk it in a separate bowl and add to the meat.
- Mix well for 7 to 10 minutes with your hands to get a smooth paste. While mixing try smashing the meat against the base of the bowl. This will give you a smooth paste!
- Let it marinate in refrigerator for a minimum of 45 minutes. (I generally leave it overnight.)
- In the meantime, preheat the oven to 180 C or 360 F.
- If you are using wooden skewers, immerse it in water for 15 minutes before using. This will ensure your kebab coming out easily once cooked.
- Once the marination is done, wet your hands and form balls with the mince. Take the skewers and press out the kebab. Repeat for all the balls.
- Take a baking sheet and place a baking liner. Brush oil. Place the skewers on them and brush oil over the skewers.
- Place them in the oven at 180 C or 360 F for 30 minutes.
- Keep turning the skewers and brush with oil (if required) in between to get an equal char on all sides.
- Remove the kebabs from skewers and serve with green chutney and a salad side. Enjoy!
- You can add a naan/ paratha or roti to make it a meal.