Chicken Shami Kebab are those melt in your mouth, soft and smooth appetizers, great for parties and get together!
The Legend of Shami Kebab
Shami kebab are minced lamb/ goat meat kebab that melts in your mouth.
There’s a small story behind the origin of these kebab. It’s believed, during the Mughal Era, lived an elderly nobleman in the Indian city of Lucknow (Indian state of Uttar Pradesh). He was so fat, that he couldn’t get on a horse and his teeth were all gone! But this nobleman still wanted to enjoy meat. Hence this melt in your mouth appetizer was invented by a highly skilled chef.
While I have no idea, whether this story is true, but I know for sure that these kebab are definitely delicious and a must try!
Cooking is a creative skill and there are always more than one ways to create any recipe!
The same holds true for Shami Kebab as well. The traditional kebab are made of goat meat but you can always make it with any kind of meat. Here I used chicken.
I recently created a vegetarian version of these kebab by using the meaty fungi, Mushrooms, Mushroom Kebab.
Other Kebab Recipes: Chicken Seekh kebab, Paneer Tikka Kebab, Chicken Tikka Kebab
About the recipe
Shami kebab generally consists of: onions, Chana dal (or split chickpeas), meat, potatoes, herbs and seasonings. I used chicken to make this traditional silky smooth kebab.
Onions and soaked Chana dal are cooked with minced chicken. If you don’t have minced chicken (or meat) at hand, go in for chicken pieces. Other seasoning and spices are added and blended to a smooth paste in a food processor. This mixture is mixed with boiled, mashed potatoes, egg, bread crumbs and flour (last 2 optional) and shaped into patties. These patties are then shallow fried.
I generally serve them with sliced onions, fresh lemons and a green chutney side.
Pair it with naan, parathas and make it a meal. Roll it in parathas for Chicken kebab Kathi roll or replace your traditional burger patty with this kebab for an unforgettable delicious burger experience.
If you like the recipe or make “Chicken Shami Kebab”, please be sure to leave a comment. Above all, I love hearing from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe and decide to post, please be sure to tag me on Instagram or Facebook!
Chicken Shami Kebab
- 1 lbs ground chicken or 500 gram of minced/ ground chicken or chicken pieces
- 1/2 cup Red Onion chopped
- 1/3 cup Chana dal or split chickpeas. Soaked for 1 hour.
- 1 1/2 tsp Ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 medium Potato boiled and mashed
- 2 nos Green chili chopped
- 2-4 tbsp Lemon juice depends upon individual taste
- 2 tsp All purpose flour
- 1 tsp Bread crumbs
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp Cilantro chopped
- Salt to taste
- Oil for shallow frying
- In a bowl, wash and soak chana dal for a minimum of 1 hour. If you are planning in advance and have time at hand, you can always soak it for up to 4 hours.
- Steam potato in a pressure cooker for 2 whistles. Alternatively in a medium sized pot, boil the potato for 15 minutes with the skin. (To check if potato is cooked, insert a knife. The blade should come out clean.). Let it cool. Peel and mash them and keep it aside.
- Chop onions, green chili and cilantro. Keep them aside.
- In a sauce pan, heat 1 tsp cooking oil and add onions. Sauté until it turns pink and translucent. Next add ginger garlic paste. Sauté for a minute, until the raw aroma disappears.
- Now add the soaked, strained chana dal and sauté for a minute.
- Add sufficient water, enough to cover the dal. Cook on a medium flame until all the water evaporates. At this point, check if the dal is cooked by pressing it between fingers. If it breaks easily it is cooked.
- Now add the minced chicken, red chili powder, turmeric, cumin, coriander, salt and lemon juice. Cook until the meat is soft and cooked.
- Remove from heat and let it cool. Once cooled, add the cooked chicken mixture into the food processor/ grinder. Dry grind.
- Empty the chicken - dal mixture to a medium mixing bowl. Add the mashed potato, cilantro, green chili, garam masala, additional lemon juice (optional), salt (if required), one lightly beaten egg, 1 tsp flour and bread crumbs. Mix well.
- You will obtain a dough like mixture. Shape into flat discs or patties. Divide this dough into 16-17 medium balls. Flattened them and coat with remaining flour.
- Heat oil in a frying pan. Shallow fry the patties in batches until golden brown and crunchy on both sides.
- Remove and drain excess oil on an absorbent paper towel before serving.
- Your Chicken Shami Kebab are ready! Enjoy with a chutney/ ketchup/ sauce side.
Thanks For Sharing this Amazing Recipe. My Family Loved It. I will be sharing this Recipe with my Friends. Hope They will like it.
Aakruti Mahendra says
You’re welcome! Glad you liked it 🙂