Dahi ki Chutney (or Indian Yogurt dip) is a Hyderabadi (a type of food frequented in Hyderabad, a metropolis in South India) dip/ side/ accompaniment for Biryanis (flavored Basmati rice with marinated vegetables or meats), parathas (Indian flat bread) or steamed rice.
Chutney and Indian cuisine
Chutney and pickles (or as it’s called in Hindi: ‘achar’) are an integral part of Indian cuisine. Every region & part of India has its own recipe for a chutney or ‘achar’. A traditional Indian meal isn’t complete without a couple of chutney and pickles 🙂 For sure, they enhance the taste of a meal!
Other Chutney Recipes that you may like: Ginger Chutney, Peanut Tamarind Chutney, Tomato Chutney
Now what is ‘Dahi ki Chutney’
Yogurt, has for ages been a staple in Indian diet, primarily for its digestive and probiotic properties. The cooling effect of lactose helps soothe after eating a rich & spicy meal.
‘Dahi ki Chutney’ or Hyderabadi Yogurt dip is basically whisked homemade yogurt or plain yogurt mixed with chopped onions, green chilis, cilantro, salt & pepper.
If you make Dahi Ki Chutney, please be sure to leave a comment. Above all, I love hearing from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram or Facebook! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite.
Dahi Ki Chutney (or Indian Yogurt dip)
- 1 cup plain yogurt or homemade yogurt
- 1/2 cup Red Onion chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 Green chilis or Thai green chili or Jalapeño
- 1/4 cup Cilantro chopped
- 1/2 inch Fresh Ginger chopped or grated or 1 tsp Ginger paste. (optional)
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper
- Salt to taste
- In a bowl take yogurt and whisk well. Add water (retain a semi liquid consistency).
- Now add onions, green chili, black pepper, ginger, cilantro and salt.
- Mix well and refrigerate for at least 1/2 hour before serving with biryani, parathas or rice.
- You can use Jalapeño instead of green chili. Based on your preference, you can de-seed them as well.
- Replace plain yogurt, with Greek yogurt.
- Yellow onion can be used instead of red onions.