Indian Chicken Korma is a South Asian dish and as the name implies a popular Indian dish. It has numerous variations across India. Korma, is a creamy flavorful sauce of yogurt with nuts and meat or vegetables.
What are different types of Kormas?
There are different types of kormas: Chicken korma, Mutton/ Lamb korma, Aloo korma, Mixed vegetable korma, etc.
Health Benefits of Yogurt
Yogurt is a rich source of proteins, calcium and potassium. It’s a probiotic containing healthy bacteria that’s good to maintain a healthy digestive system. It also boosts immune system.
Can’t wait to share my recipe for this delectable, magical dish which combines the goodness of yogurt, nuts and marinated chicken.
Related Recipes: Chicken Seekh Kebab, Ground Chicken Curry, Hyderabadi Chicken Biryani
Indian Chicken Korma
- 2 lbs Boneless skinless Chicken thighs or 1 kg chicken. Cut into 1/2 inch pieces. Chicken breasts can also be used.
- 1 1/2 tbsp Ginger garlic paste
- 1 1/2 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 2 tbsp Lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 medium sized Red Onion sliced/ diced/ chopped
- 1/2 tbsp Ginger garlic paste
- 7-8 whole Almonds
- 7-8 whole cashew nuts
- 1-2 bay leaves or tej patta
- 6-7 cloves
- 6-7 cardamon use the pods
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp garam masala
- Salt to taste
- 2 Green chili or Thai green chili (optional)
- 2 tbsp Cilantro for garnish
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- Water as required
- Clean & cut chicken. Take the chicken in a medium sized bowl and add all the ingredients under marination. Rub and cover the chicken pieces with the marinade. Let it marinate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
Cooking the gravy
- In a non stick pan/ pot heat 1 tbsp oil. Add onions and cook until they turn pink and translucent. Now add 1/2 tbsp ginger garlic paste and cook for 30 seconds. Next add almonds and cashews and cook for a minute.
- Remove from heat and let it cool. Once it's at room temperature, add this mixture to a blender/ mixer/ food processor and obtain a smooth paste.
- Take yogurt in a medium mixing bowl and beat it to get a smooth consistency. Add the above onion paste and salt and mix well. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a medium sized pot and add bay leaves, cloves, cardamom pods, cinnamon powder and cumin seeds. Cook for 1/2 minute.
- Now add the marinated chicken pieces and cook until water evaporates. Check if the chicken is cooked (this can be done by cutting a chicken piece with the spoon. If it easily cuts, that means chicken is cooked.)
- Add the yogurt mixture and green chili. Stir continuously until bringing the gravy to a boil. Add water if necessary
- Let it boil for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and garnish with cilantro.
- Enjoy this creamy korma with hot parathas (Indian flatbread) or steamed plain rice.
- The yogurt mixture should be continuously stirred while bringing it to a boil. This is important so that we can avoid splitting of the yogurt. Once yogurt comes in contact with heat, it curdles and splits. To avoid this flour and salt is added.