Poha (Indian flattened rice pilaf) is an easy, quick and nutritious breakfast/ snack recipe. There are different versions of this Maharastrian breakfast staple across India.
Why Breakfast Staple?
Breakfast, which is the most important meal of the day, should be rich in carbohydrates. Poha (Indian flattened rice pilaf), is light on stomach, easy to digest and a great source of carbohydrate.
You May Also Like: Rava Upma, Tomato Rice, Egg White Frittata
Poha (Indian flattened rice pilaf), is a good source of Iron. It also promotes low sugar release, hence good for diabetics. Poha is low in Gluten and can serve as a complete meal (with the addition of veggies).
It can be a great, no fuss, tasty lunch box item for kids.
You can substitute your early evening or late afternoon hunger pangs with Poha instead of other carbohydrate rich junk food like chips, wafers or cookies.
Here’s my recipe for making this healthy, quick breakfast dish! Hope you get to try it 🙂 And if you do, please be sure to leave a comment. You can also tag me on Instagram or Facebook!
Poha (Indian flattened rice pilaf)
- 1.5 cup poha thick variety (or flattened rice)
- 1/4 cup Red Onion chopped
- 1-2 nos Green chili chopped or jalapeño (deseeded for mild)
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 5-6 nos curry leaves
- 1-2 nos Dried red chilli
- 1 tsp Ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp Red chilli powder (optional)
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric
- 1/2 tsp garam masala (optional)
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 2 tsp Lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Cilantro (leaves) chopped
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- Salt to taste
- In a medium bowl, wash poha (thick variety) and let it soak for 10-12 minutes and strain. Soaking makes poha soft. Ensure it doesn't get mushy.
- In a pan, heat oil and add dried red chilli, cumin seeds and curry leaves. Stir fry for 30 seconds. Now add chopped onions and cook until it's translucent or pink.
- Next add ginger garlic paste, cook for 30 seconds. Then add, red chili powder, turmeric powder, garam masala and coriander powder.
- Now add poha, green chilis and salt and mix gently.
- Drizzle lemon juice and mix one last time before removing from heat.
- Transfer into serving bowl and garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Enjoy hot poha with a hot cuppa of tea/ coffee or a fruit side!
- You can always add toasted peanuts and potatoes as well for added nutrition, texture and flavor.