Stuffed Besan Paratha (Stuffed Gram flour Indian bread) is a healthy way to include this wonder ingredient, Besan (Gram flour), into your diet. It’s protein packed, that fulfills other micronutrient requirements as well.
This Paratha is so versatile that it can be eaten with Yogurt (Dahi ki Chutney), any Curry or ‘Dal’ (Lentils).
So here goes my version!
- 2 cups Whole wheat flour
- Water as required
- 1 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- 3/4 cup Besan (Gram flour)
- 1 tsp crushed Saunf (Fennel seeds)
- 1 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1 tsp Garam masala
- 1/2 tsp Amchoor powder (Dried Mango powder)
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp Cooking oil
Preparing the dough:
- In a large mixing bowl add the flour, oil and salt and knead the dough.
- Alternatively a food processor can also be used to knead (in this case us the kneading blade).
- Rest the dough for 15 mins.
Preparing the stuffing:
- Heat oil in a small sauce pan, roast besan until it’s raw aroma disappears and it starts turning a dull brown color. This could take you around 15 – 20 mins. Remember to keep mixing Besan every minute, as you don’t want the flour to get charred.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Now add all the remaining spices and salt. Mix it thoroughly.
Preparing the Roti (Bread):
- Divide the dough into 10 – 12 equal sized balls.
- Take one ball and with the help of a rolling pin, roll out 2 inches circle. Put the stuffing in the center, fold and roll to make a thin 6 inch circle (roti/ bread).
- On a hot flat griddle pan, cook it with both side brushed with oil.
- Repeat these steps for the remaining of dough balls.
- Enjoy these parathas with Dahi ki Chutney, pickle, curry or dal!