Dahi Bhindi (or Okra in Yogurt gravy) is an easy, simple and tasty entree that goes well with rotis (Indian flatbread) or steamed plain rice.
Okra is an unconventional vegetable but has a lot of nutritional value. It’s easy to cook and readily available. If cooked the right way, it’s delightful on the tastebuds.
Refer Bhindi Fry and Crispy Rajasthani Bhindi recipes for more on Okra
About the recipe
It can be your ideal weeknight dish or a lazy weekend meal!
Bhindi (Okra) is sautéed in oil until it’s cooked completely. This eliminates the sliminess of the veggie. Next the gravy (or sauce) is made with plain yogurt and besan (gram flour) and minimal spices. The sautéed Okra are now mixed with the gravy.
Through my recipe I want to inspire you to include this versatile and lovable veggie in your meal 🙂
- 1 lbs Okra or 500 grams 'Bhindi' or 'Lady's finger'
- 1/2 cup Red Onion chopped
- 4 tbsp plain yogurt whisked till smooth
- 2 tbsp Besan or gram flour
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp Ginger garlic paste
- 1/2-1 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1-2 nos Green chili cut into 1/2 inch pieces or Jalapenos
- 2 tbsp Cilantro for garnish
- Salt to taste
- Water as required
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- Wash Okra (Bhindi) in running water throughly. Wipe dry with a kitchen towel or absorbent paper or allow them to dry naturally.
- Trim the head and tail of okra and chop them into 1 inch pieces. Keep them aside.
- In a non stick pan, heat about 2 tbsp of oil and add chopped okra pieces in batches. Don’t make the pan too crowded. Sauté them for about 8-10 minutes or until they change color and look cooked.
- Remove them and keep them aside. Repeat the same for the remaining batches.
- While the Okra is being sautéed, prep for the gravy. In a medium mixing bowl, take yogurt and whisk until it’s smooth. Add a little water if required.
- Now add besan (gram flour) to the whisked yogurt and mix well. Dissolve besan well and obtain a uniform yogurt-besan mix. Add salt and mix one more time. Keep it aside.
- In the same pan that was used to sauté Okra, heat 1 tbsp of oil and add cumin seeds. Once they sizzle, add onions and cook until it’s translucent and pink.
- Add ginger garlic paste and cook for 30 seconds. Next add red chili powder and turmeric powder and cook for 30 seconds.
- On a medium flame, add the sautéed Okra and mix. Cook for a minute and add the yogurt mixture and green chili. Stir continuously until bringing the gravy to a boil. Add water if necessary.
- Add garam masala and let it boil for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a serving dish. Garnish with cilantro.
- Enjoy this creamy entree with hot rotis, parathas (Indian flatbread) or plain white steamed rice.