Homemade Tomato Soup, rich in Vitamin C is my go to winter warmer.
Tomatoes are one of the healthiest foods in the world. It’s high lycopene content makes it’s a rich anti-oxidant and responsible for good bone health.
Tomato Soup and fighting Cold and Flu
High antioxidants in tomatoes gives a boost to the immune system. It’s rich in Vitamin C as well which helps in fighting cold. The other ingredients of the soup like garlic, is an excellent source of allicin (anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties). Black pepper helps relief congestion in the respiratory tract. It also has anti-bacterial properties.
This quick and tasty recipe is my take on this famous and most loved soup. Hope you get to make and enjoy 🙂
Homemade Tomato Soup
- 5 oz Tomato paste or tomato puree or 4 medium sized tomatoes
- 1 tsp garlic paste or 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1/4 cup Red Onion chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp olive oil or cooking oil or butter
- 1 tsp Black pepper
- 1 tsp Corn flour
- 1 tsp honey
- Salt to taste
- Water as required
- 1/4 cup half and half cream (optional), coconut cream for dairy free alternative
- 2 tbsp Cilantro chopped
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, take the required quantity of tomato paste or puree and and enough water. Obtain a mixture with watery consistency. Keep aside.
- In a medium sized pot, heat oil and add onions. Cook until it’s translucent. Add garlic and cook for a minute. Now pour in the tomato liquid, salt and pepper. Bring it to a boil.
- In the meantime, in a small bowl dissolve cornflour in 1/4 cup water. Keep it aside.
- Once the tomato tomato mixture comes to a boil, add the corn flour and stir. Bring it once again to a boil. Now add honey and cream. Boil for 5 minutes.
- Remove into a serving bowl. Garnish with cilantro and serve hot.
- If working with raw, whole tomatoes, obtain a puree.
- In a large pot boil enough water so as to immerse the tomatoes completely. Add the tomatoes and switch off the heat. Blanch for 20-30 minutes. Remove tomatoes from water and let them cool. Next peel its skin and remove its eye. Chop them and add to a blender or food processor to obtain a puree.