Makhani Sauce is an aromatic butter based tomato cream sauce seasoned with spices and herbs.
It’s origin is from the northern regions of India (State of Punjab).
Using the Sauce
This sauce is a magical component of many Indian curries like Chicken Tikka Masala, Butter chicken, Vegetable jalfrezi, Paneer Makhani, etc.
You may also like: Butter Chicken Pasta, Butter chicken pot pie with naan crust
About the Recipe
How about making restaurant style Butter chicken or Paneer Makhani within a few minutes?
Sounds interesting right! Well with a little time and effort you can prepare Makhani Sauce in bulk and freeze. Use it as you like in appropriate recipes.
Onions and tomatoes cooked with spices and nuts and ground to a smooth paste. Thats it! Your sauce is ready.
- 1 medium sized Red Onion sliced
- 4 oz Tomato paste
- 15 whole cashew nuts
- 2 tsp Ginger garlic paste
- 4 whole Green chili or jalapenos
- 5 whole Dried red chilli Kashmiri dried chili (preferred). Use Cayenne & Paprika in 1:3 ratio instead
- 5-8 cloves
- 5-8 cardamon (grains are removed)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp Unsalted butter or 'Ghee'. If dairy-free use olive oil/ coconut oil/ any cooking oil
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp half and half cream or substitute with dairy free alternative to make it vegan
- 1 tbsp dried fenugreek leaves (found in Indian grocery stores)
- Salt to taste
- In a medium sized non stick pot, melt 2 tablespoons butter.
- Once heated, add onions and stir fry until they turn pink.
- Add cashews, ginger garlic paste, cardamom seeds, cloves, cinnamon and salt and cook until fragrant.
- Then add tomato paste and cook for a minute. Now add Thai green chillies and dried (Kashmiri) red chillies.
- Cook for another minute. Remove the pot from heat and let it cool.
- Add the cooled mix and water into a blender/ food processor to get a thick gravy consistency.
- In the same pot, heat the remaining tablespoon butter. Add bay leaves and cook until fragrant.
- Next add the gravy from the blender/ food processor. Stir for 2 minutes while adding honey.
- Finally add half and half cream and crushed dried fenugreek leaves and cook for a minute.
- The 'Makhani sauce' is ready.